BHCRI Cancer Research Conference
This event offers trainees the opportunity to present their cancer research via poster or platform presentations. Guest speakers include faculty from local universities as well as National experts.
The conference is open to all researchers and students undertaking cancer-related research in Atlantic Canada. If you are located outside the Atlantic region and would like to attend, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. The conference is mandatory for CRTP Trainees.
The 2020 BHCRI/TFRI cancer research conference was held virtually via MS Teams on 10 November 2020. Please view the Agenda
Thank you to all of the speakers, organizers, judges, volunteers, and attendees!
Special thank you to:
The keynote speakers:
- Dr. Jeffrey Hoch
- Dr. Pamela Ohashi
- Scott Grandy
The organizing committee:
- David Busolo
- Melanie Coombs
- Shashi Gujar
- Paola Marcato
- Megan Whaley
The social event volunteer:
- Daniel Medina-Luna
- Kim Brewer and Alli Murugesan
- Pat Murphy and Zhenyu Cheng
- Yassine El Hiani and Jessica Esseltine
- Sheila Garland and Kerry Goralski
- Vanessa DeClercq and Sherri Christian
Dalhousie MedIT for providing support:
- Keven Ayoub
- Stephane Jonchere
- David Miller
- Christopher Richardson
- Scott Rountree
Congratulations to the following award recipients:
- Nyissa Walsh
- Meg Dahn
- Surangi Dharmawansa
- Michael Giacomantonio
- Stephanie Grantham
- Barry Kennedy
- Leah MacLean
- Andrea Tomko
- Perri Tutelman
- Alexa Wilson
The 2018 BHCRI/TFRI Cancer Research Conference in Atlantic Canada was held on 5-6 November 2018 at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, 1515 South Park Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia. Please view the program
Thank you to all attendees of the 2016 BHCRI/TFRI Cancer Research Conference in Atlantic Canada: Recent Advances in Cancer Research which was held on 7-8 November 2016 at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, 1515 South Park Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Please view the program.
We couldn’t have done it without you!
Without the assistance of so many, it wouldn’t have been possible to organize and execute this year’s conference. Thank you…
- to all of the speakers who presented on a wide variety of interesting topics,
- to all members of the BHCRI Training Committee and Research Committees for planning the program,
- to the group of CRTP trainees who planned Day 1 events,
- to all of the CRTP trainees who volunteered in so many capacities to ensure that the event went smoothly,
- to Vino Rajan for organizing the volunteer schedule,
- to all of the people who served as judges, and
- to all of the attendees for participating.
We hope that you found the conference informative and that you enjoyed the various sessions. We encourage those who attended to provide feedback via the website link on the back of the conference booklet. All feedback received will be considered when planning future events.
Congratulations to all of the platform and poster winners!
Platform Presentation winner: Livia Anthes
Poster Presentation winners:
Thank you to everyone who attended the 2014 BHCRI/TFRI Cancer Research Conference on Monday 3 November and Tuesday 4 November.
This year's theme was: Child, Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer. Please view the program for more information.
Images from the 2014 Conference:
We would like to thank all of the volunteers who helped with the conference in any way – and hope that we haven’t missed anyone: Natasa, Derek, Krysta, Wasu, Andra, Eric, Ryan, Simon, Colin, Mo, Chungen, Vino and Ben. Special thanks to Anna Greenshields who served as photographer over the two days and to Moamen Bydoun for volunteering and for arranging for other volunteers to help us in a number of ways.
Congratulations to the winners of the poster and platform presentation awards:
- Dae-Gyun Ahn
- Henry Annan
- Niroshaathevi Arumuggam
- Craig Ayre
- Colin Brien
- Jason Harquail
- Logan Lawrence
- Chungen Pan
- Eric Pringle
- Nicholas Sajko
- Moamen Bydoun
Each recipient received a personalized plaque along with a $100.00 cash prize.
If you have not already done so, we hope that you will take a few minutes to complete a conference evaluation. The link may be found on the back inner cover of the conference booklet.
The Fourth Annual BHCRI Cancer Research Conference in Atlantic Canada was held on the 4 and 5 November 2012 at the Lord Nelson Hotel, South Park Street, Halifax
The theme was "Bridging Across Disciplines: Creating Innovative Approaches for Cancer Research in Atlantic Canada."
We are grateful to everyone who attended and supported the 4th Annual BHCRI Cancer Research Conference in Atlantic Canada. Thank you all!
Some of your comments were:
- I enjoyed the oral presentations and how they linked basic research scientists with clinicians and social/behavioral scientists. The conference was very organized and well-assembled.
- Very organized, all the events ran smoothly and there was very little discrepancy between the outlined schedule and the actual events. Interesting to get a global perspective on cancer research from sociological studies all the way to pure sciences.
- Enjoyed the ability to meet and interact with colleagues at other Atlantic institutions.
- Enjoyed the breadth of talks
- How broad the scope of the conference was. There were so many interestingposters and they varied greatly. It's nice to see all different kinds of researchbeing equally supported.
- Thank you to BHCRI for giving my research team a great opportunity for learning all about on-going cancer research in the Atlantic Canada. More importantly, it was the ideal place for net-working and identifying potential research collaborations.
- Thank you for the opportunity you provided for me to interact and meet so many great researchers and potential employers
- A great conference overall.
We wish to congratulate recipients of the various awards:
Poster Awards - Monday Evening Public Session
Poster Awards - Tuesday Session
Platform Award - Tuesday Session
Images from the 2012 Conference: