BHCRI Cancer Research Workshop
The Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute (BHCRI) Cancer Research Workshop was developed to enhance the training of cancer research trainees, though presentations may be of interest to anyone in the field of cancer research. Guest speakers representing various areas of cancer research are chosen for their expertise.
The BHCRI/TFRI Workshop will be held May 27-28, 2021 from 9:00am-2:00pm ADT via MS Teams. This is a joint workshop for the Terry Fox Research Institute Atlantic Node and the Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute.
Featuring leaders in the fields of Radiotherapy, Immunotherapy, and Precision Medicine speaking about the current status and ongoing research efforts in the fight against cancer. Interactive workshops include highlighting bioinformatics, how to write for a lay audience, and alternative career paths in science.
This event is open to all researchers and students throughout Atlantic Canada. The workshop is mandatory for CRTP Trainees–please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to attend. If you are located outside the Atlantic Region and would like to attend, please contact email@example.com.
For further information and to register, please visit: https://event.fourwaves.com/bhcriworkshop2021
You are welcome to attend the social following each day of the workshop. A link will be provided as soon as it is available.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Current CRTP trainees are eligible to submit an abstract for a three minute, single-slide presentation, which will be held on 28 May 2021. Abstracts may be submitted using the form on the registration site: https://event.fourwaves.com/bhcriworkshop2021
The deadline for submission is 7 May 2021. Notification will be sent via email following abstract review.
The BHCRI/TFRI Workshop was held virtually on 29 May 2020 due to COVID-19. Thank you to all presenters, organizers and attendees!
The Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute and TFRI Atlantic Node would like to thank everyone who presented and attended the 2019 joint workshop Where are They Now? Exploring Career Options from CRTP Alumni on 24 May in Halifax.
Special Thanks To:
- The Speakers: Dr. Tugce Balci, Dr. Murray Cutler, Dr. Jeremy Roy, Dr. Maya Shmulevitz, and Dr. Kristin Tweel
- The Organizing Committee: Tyler MacDonald (Chair), Daniel Medina-Luna, Jacob Nearing, Megan Whaley and Dr Sherri Christian, who also moderated the event. They planned the program, invited the speakers, organized the mini workshops and lay summary competition, prepared bingo cards and workshop materials and ensured everything ran smoothly.
- Event volunteers: Michael Giacomantonio (registration) and Jacob Nearing (registration and score calculation), Daniel Medina-Luna (timing), Stacey Lee, Smriti Srivastava and Yajun Yu (mini-workshop assistance), Tyler MacDonald (score calculation).
- Judges: Rod MacLennan, Gerry Johnston, Carla Ross
- Twitter content: Carla Ross and Keon Collett
- The twenty-nine two-minute lay summary competition participants, all of whom did a fantastic job!
Congratulations to the Lay Summary Competition Winners:
First: Brianne Cruickshank
Tied for Second: Tyler MacDonald, Emma Finlayson-Trick, Barry Kennedy
Full Bingo Card Winners:
Vipin Shankar Chelakkot
Thank you to Dr. Sherri Christian for providing Terry Fox Foundation merchandise!
Thanks so much to everyone who attended the workshop and we hope to see you again next year!
The 2018 BHCRI/TFRI Workshop was held May 25 from 8:30am-5:15pm ADT in Room C170, main floor of the Collaborative Health Education Building (CHEB). This was a Joint Workshop for the Terry Fox Research Institute Atlantic Node and the Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute.
The Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute and the Terry Fox Research Institute would like to thank everyone who presented at the 2018 BHCRI/TFRI Workshop The Many Ways to Science on 25 May in Halifax as well as everyone who attended.
Special thanks to:
- The Organizing Committee: Vinothkumar Rajan (Chair), Marie-Laurence Tremblay, Sally Miller, Lucas Jarche, Mohammad Sultan and Dr Sherri Christian, who also moderated the event. This group planned the program, invited the speakers, prepared the bingo game and worked very hard to ensure that the day ran smoothly.
- Event volunteers: Sally Miller and Marie-Laurence Tremblay (registration), Lucas Jarche (poster), Marie-Laurence Tremblay (timing) and Mahdi Asgharpour
- Social Media coverage: Krysta Coyle
- All speakers: Dr. Shauna Dauphinee, Dr. Jennifer Corcoran, Dr. Cathy Sorbara, Dr. Andrew Stadnyk, Dr. Alejandro Cohen, and Dr. Jason Berman.
- The seventeen three-minute science elevator pitch participants, who did a great job!
Congratulations to the Elevator Pitch winners:
First Place: Namit Holay
Second Place: Wasundara Fernando
Third Place: Brianne Cruickshank
Bingo Prize Draw Winners:
Thank you to the following prize donors:
Books were donated by:
The Dalhousie University Bookstore
The Memorial University Bookstore
Dr. Gerry Johnston
Dr. Sherri Christian
A gift card in the amount of $30.00 was donated by The Bookmark in Halifax.
Thanks again for participating and we hope to see you next year!
Thank you to everyone who presented and attended the 2017 BHCRI/TFRI Workshop entitled Research and Collaboration in Oncology, which was held on May 26 from 8:30am-5:00pm ADT in Room C170, main floor of the Collaborative Health Education Building (CHEB). This was a Joint Workshop for the Terry Fox Research Institute Atlantic Node and the Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute. Please view the program
Special thanks to:
• The organizing committee: Moamen Bydoun, Helmi Alfarra, Thomas Huynh, Perri Tutelman and Dr Sherri Christian, who also moderated the event
• The volunteers: Ryan Collins and Rachel Kampen (registration), Hayden Nix and Simon Gebremeskel (timing) and Krysta Coyle for providing the social media coverage!
• The twenty-six slide blitz participants, who did a great job!
Congratulations to the following slide blitz award recipients:
Tied for first place:
Livia Anthes, Pathology, Dalhousie University (Supervisor: Dr. Graham Dellaire)
Corey Filiaggi, Pathology, Dalhousie University (Supervisor: Jason Berman)
Tied for second place:
Madumani Amararathna, Plant, Food and Environmental Sciences (Supervisor: Vasantha Rupasinghe), Dalhousie University
Vinothkumar Rajan, Microbiology and Immunology, Dalhousie University (Supervisor: Jason Berman)
Meg Thomas, Pathology, Dalhousie University (Supervisor: Paola Marcato)
Thanks again for participating and hope to see you next year!
Thank you to everyone who presented and attended the 2016 Atlantic‐Quebec Workshop for Next‐Gen Cancer Researchers: A Joint Workshop for the Terry Fox Research Institute Quebec and Atlantic Nodes, the Quebec Cancer Research Network and the Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute on 26-27 May at the CRCHUM in Montreal! Please view the program.
The 2015 BHCRI/TFRI Cancer Research Workshop was held from 9:00-5:00 on Wednesday, May 6 in the Main Auditorium, Health Science Centre, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. Johns. This years theme: Technology, Omics and Big Data Integration. Please view the program
Thank you to all those who participated and attended!
The 2014 BHCRI/TFRI Cancer Workshop Multiuser Core Facilities for Cancer Research in the Atlantic Region was held on Monday, May 26, 2014 in Theatre B, Tupper Link, 5850 College Street, Halifax.
Please view the program.
We would like to thank the presenters and attendees for participating in this event!
The BHCRI/TFRI Cancer Workshop " Building Cancer Capacity: The CIHR/TFRI STIHR Programs" was held on Monday, May 27, 2013 in Moncton, NB. Please view the Program
Thank you to the presenters and everyone who attended!
The BHCRI would like to thank the presenters and attendees for participating in The 2012 BHCRI Cancer Workshop Medical Imaging in Oncology: Clinical and Research Applications!
For more information, please contact email@example.com or phone 902-494-8970.