Supervisor: Dr. Kerry B. Goralski
Program of Study:
Efficacy of Jadomycin B as a New Topoisomerase II Poison in Multidrug Resistant Human Breast Cancer Cells
Scholarships and/or Awards:
- Cancer Research Training Program (CRTP) Traineeship Award, 2019
- Dalhousie Undergraduate Bursary, 2018, 2017, 2016
- J. Victor Robichaud Scholarship, 2017, 2016
- St. Dunstan’s Parish Council CWL Bursary, 2016
- UPEI Office of Graduate Studies Award of Distinction for Science, 2015
- NS University Student Bursary, 2014, 2010
- UPEI Faculty of Graduate Studies Graduate Scholarship, 2014
- UPEI Science Graduate Studies 2014 Photo Contest – Best Photograph, Human Biology, 2014
- UPEI Student Research Travel Award, 2014, 2013
- ASCB Graduate Student Travel Award, 2013
- UPEI Department of Biology Graduate Student Fellowship, 2013, 2012
- UPEI Faculty of Science Entrance Graduate Scholarship, 2012
- Governor Thomas Carleton Scholarship, 2006
- BMO- NB High School UNB Entrance Scholarship, 2006
Following my studies at Dalhousie it is my intention to continue to pursue a career in cancer research, either in industry or through a post-doctoral research position. My primary interest remains the study of naturally occurring compounds for the treatment of cancer.
Goralski, K. B., A. E. Jackson, B. T. McKeown and C. J. Sinal. More than an Adipokine: The Complex Roles of Chemerin Signaling in Cancer. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. Manuscript Submitted for Review.
McKeown, B., J. Kim, K. Patel, C. Neto and R. Hurta. 2016. American Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) Extract Affects Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I and Insulin-Like Growth Factor Binding Proteins in Human Prostate Cancer Cells in vitro. Horizons in Cancer Research, 62: 161-178.
McKeown, B. T. and R. A. R. Hurta. 2015. Magnolol Affects Cellular Proliferation, Polyamine Biosynthesis and Catabolism-linked Protein Expression and Associated Cellular Signaling Pathways in Human Prostate Cancer Cells in vitro. Journal of Functional Foods in Health and Disease, 5(1): 17-33.
-Article featured in February 2015 FFHD newsletter
McKeown, B. T. and R. A. R Hurta. 2014. Magnolol Affects Expression of IGF-1 and Associated Binding Proteins in Human Prostate Cancer Cells in Vitro. Anticancer Research, 34(12): 6333-6338.
McKeown, B. T., L. McDougall, A. Catalli and R. A. R. Hurta. 2014. Magnolol Causes Alterations in the Cell Cycle in Androgen Insensitive Human Prostate Cancer Cells in vitro by Affecting Expression of Key Cell Cycle Regulatory Proteins. Nutrition and Cancer, 66(7): 1154-1164.
Kim, J., B. McKeown, H. Jahic, K. Patel, A. Catalli, M. Kulka, C. Neto and R. Hurta. 2014. Proantocyanidins From the American Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) Induce Cell Cycle Arrest in DU145 Human Prostate Cancer Cells in Vitro by Affecting Expression of Cell Cycle-Associated Proteins. Journal of Functional Foods in Health and Disease, 4(4): 130-146