Supervisor:Dr. Shashi Gujar
Program of Study:Postdoctoral Fellow, Microbiology & Immunology
Project Title:Targeting NAD metabolism to enhance the efficacy of oncolytic virus-based immunotherapies in multiple myeloma
Scholarships and/or Awards:
- 2020-2021 - Postdoctoral Fellowship, Infection, Immunity, Inflammation & Vaccinology (I3V)
- 2019 - Two Minute Thesis Finalist, Cancer Research Training Program/Terry Fox Research Institute Workshop
- Cancer Research Training Program Travel Award
- 2018-2019 - Postdoctoral Fellowship, Cancer Research Training Program (CRTP)/Terry Fox Research Institute (TFRI)
- 2018 - Cancer Research Training Program Skills Acquisition Program
- 2018 - Poster award, Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute Cancer Research Conference
- 2018 - Cancer Research Training Program Travel Award
- 2017 - Cancer Research Training Program Travel Award
- 2016 - Poster award, Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute Cancer Research Conference
- 2016-2017 - Postdoctoral Fellowship, Cancer Research Training Program (CRTP)/Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation (CBCF) – Atlantic Region
- 2014 - Doug Hogue Award for exceptional dedication and achievement in research
- 2012-2014 - Scotia Scholars Doctorate Student Research Award Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation (NSHRF)
- 2012 - Poster award, Frontiers in Lipid Biology Conference
- 2012 - Kathryn A. Weldon Travel Grant, Frontiers in Lipid Biology Conference
- 2010-2011- Student Research Award Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation (NSHRF)
- 2010 - Poster award, Gordon Research Conference
- 2009-2010 - Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
The goal of the proposed research is to develop innovative and effective immunotherapies against cancers. Specifically, we plan to identify metabolic weaknesses in cancer cells with the purpose of enhancing oncolytic-based anti-cancer immunotherapies. I have a broad background in biochemistry and immunology, with specific training in immunotherapies and cancer biochemistry. As a PhD student, I honed my skills in a wide range of biochemical techniques. During my postdoctoral research, I expanded my research into the study of cancer immunotherapies, specifically focusing on oncolytic virus-based therapies. Here I widened my technical repertoire to include flow cytometry, mass spectrometry-based metabolomics, and animal models. Following my postdoctoral fellowships, I will pursue a career in either an academic or industrial setting.
Kennedy, B. E., Sadek, M., Gujar, S. A. (2020) Targeted metabolic reprogramming to improve the efficacy of oncolytic virus therapy. (Accepted Mol Ther)
Giacomantonio, M., Sterea, A. M., Kim, Y., Paulo, J. A., Clements, D. R., Kennedy, B. E., Bydoun, M. J., Shi, G., Gygi, S. P., Giacomantonio, C. A., Murphy, J. P., Gujar, S. A. (2020) Quantitative Temporal Proteomics Captures Differential Anti-Oncolytic Reoviral Immune Responses in M1- and M2-like Macrophages, J Proteome Res 19(2):708-718.
Kennedy, B. E., Murphy, J. P., Clements, D. R., Konda, P., Holay, N., Kim, Y., Pathak, G. P., Giacomantonio, M., El Hiani, Y., Gujar, S. A. (2019) Inhibition of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase enhances the antitumour efficacy of oncolytic reovirus, Cancer Res 79(15):3824-3836.
Kennedy, B. E., Sadek, M., Elnenaei, M.O., Reiman, T., Gujar, S. A. (2019) Targeting NAD+ synthesis to potentiate CD38-based immunotherapy of multiple myeloma, Trends Cancer 6(1):9-12.
Sharif, T., Dai, C., Martell, E., Hanes, M. R., Ghassemi-Rad, M. S., Murphy, J. P., Kennedy, B. E., Giacomantonio, C. A., Marcato, P., Lee, P. W., Gujar, S. A. (2019) Tumor suppressor TAp73 modifies glutamine metabolism and positively regulates growth of cancer stem-like cells in a redox-sensitive manner, Clin Cancer Res. 25(6):2001-2017.
Murphy, J. P., Giacomantonio, M., Paolo, J. A., Everley, R. A., Kennedy, B. E., Pathak, G. P., Clements, D. R., Kim, Y., Dai, C., Sharif, T., Gygi, S. P., Gujar, S. A. (2018) The NAD+ Salvage Pathway Supports PHGDH-driven Serine Biosynthesis, Cell Rep 24(9):2381-2391.
Almasi, S., Kennedy, B. E., El-Aghil, M., Sterea, A. M., Gujar, S. A., El Hiani, Y. (2018) TRPM2-mediated regulation of autophagy via JNK signalling pathway maintains mitochondrial function and promotes gastric cancer cell survival, J Biol Chem 293(10), 3637-3650.
Pathak, G. P., Shah, R., Kennedy, B. E., Murphy, J. P., Clements, D. R., Giacomantonio, M., Xu, Z., Lee, P. W., Schlaepfer, I. R., Gujar, S. A. (2018) RTN4 Knockdown Dysregulates the AKT Pathway, Destabilizes the Cytoskeleton, and Enhances Paclitaxel-Induced Cytotoxicity in Cancers, Mol Ther 26(8):2019-2033.
Warford, J. R., Lamport, A. C., Clements, D. R., Malone, A., Kennedy, B. E., Kim, Y., Gujar, S. A., Hoskin, D. W., Easton, A. S. (2018) Surfen, a proteoglycan binding agent, reduces inflammation but inhibits remyelination in murine models of multiple sclerosis, Acta Neuropathol Commun 6(1):4.
Sharif, T., Martell, E., Dai, C., Ghassemi-Rad, M. S., Kennedy, B. E., Lee, P. W., Gujar, S. A. (2018) Regulation of cancer and cancer-related genes via NAD+, Antioxid Redox Signal 20;30(6):906-923. Review.