Steven Hall, BSc (Honours)
Supervisor:Dr. Kerry Goralski
Program of Study:PhD, Pharmacology
Project Title:Characterization of the Anticancer Pharmacology of Novel Jadomycin Molecules
Scholarships and/or Awards:
- Best Platform Presentation Award - Crossroads Interdisciplinary Health Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia; March 28, 2015.
- Scotia Scholars Award - Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation; September 2014 – August 2016.
- President’s Award – Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia; September 2014 – August 2015.
- Level 2 Izaak Walton Killam Predoctoral Scholarship – Killam Trusts; September 2014 – August 2017.
- Joint Cancer Research Training Program Traineeship Award and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce Graduate Scholarship in Medical Research – Funded through the Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute; January 2013 – December 2014.
- Canada International Group Merit Award (Society of Chemical Industry, October 2011)
- Goodridge Summer Research Undergraduate Award – (Mount Allison University, May – August 2010).
- Murray Sears Teaching Assistant Award - (Mount Allison Department of Chemistry, 2009)
- Dean’s List (Mount Allison University, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011)
- Jean T. Ward Scholarship - (Mount Allison University, 2007)
I am currently completing my PhD in the Department of Pharmacology at Dalhousie University, where I study the anticancer activity of natural products called jadomycins. Upon completion of my PhD, I plan to attain a postdoctoral position in academia or industry where I may continue developing my skills as a cancer scientist. I ultimately aspire to become a principal investigator with my own research laboratory, where I can use my knowledge of pharmacology to develop and study anticancer drugs.
Steven R. Hall, Heather L. Blundon, Matthew A. Ladda, Andrew W. Robertson, Camilo F. Martinez-Farina, David L. Jakeman, Kerry B. Goralski. Jadomycin breast cancer cytotoxicity is mediated by a copper-dependent, reactive oxygen species-inducing mechanism. Pharmacology Research & Perspectives, 2015, 3(2), e00110, doi: 10.1002/prp2.110
Mark E. Issa, Steven R. Hall, Stephanie N. Dupuis, Cathy L. Graham, David L. Jakeman, Kerry B. Goralski. Jadomycins are Cytotoxic to ABCB1-, ABCC1- and ABCG2-Overexpressing MCF7 Breast Cancer Cells. Anti-Cancer Drugs, 2014, 25(3), 255-69, doi: 10.1097/CAD.0000000000000043.
Steven R. Hall, Raymond Roy, Dylan T. McLaughlin, Kate J. Sullivan, L. Ross C. Barclay, Christopher M. Vogels, Andreas Decken, and Stephen A. Westcott. The Synthesis and Molecular Structure of 1-(3,4-Dihydroxyphenethyl)-3-hydroxy-2-methylpyridin-4(1H)-one Hydrochloride Methanol Solvate. Crystals, 2013, 3(2), 333-38.
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications
Steven R. Hall. Clinical Importance of Drug Transporters. Canadian Society of Pharmacology and Therapeutics (CSPT) Newsletter. Summer, 2015.
Steven R. Hall. The importance of understanding drug variability in women. Canadian Society of Pharmacology and Therapeutics (CSPT) Newsletter. Volume 5, Issue 2. Summer, 2013.