Supervisor:Dr. Patrick Lee
Program of Study:Postdoctoral Fellow, Microbiology & Immunology
Project Title:The Role of Nmnat2, a New p53 Target Gene, in Breast Cancer Regulation
Scholarships and/or Awards:
- 2015 Cancer Research Training Program (CRTP) Traineeship
- 2012-2014 Scotia Scholars Doctorate Student Research Award, Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation (NSHRF)
- 2014 - Doug Hogue Award for exceptional dedication and achievement in research, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Dalhousie University, Nova Scotia
- 2012 - Poster award, Frontiers in Lipid Biology Conference, Banff, Alberta,
- 2010-2011 Student Research Award, Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation (NSHRF)
- 2010 - Poster award, Gordon Research Conference, Andover, New Hampshire, USA
- 2009-2010 Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
Using knowledge gained from his PhD research project, which focused on energy metabolism and mitochondrial function in neurodegenerative diseases, Barry aspires to expand his expertise into the field of cancer research. Following his postdoctoral fellowships he will pursue a career in either an academic or industrial setting.
Kennedy, B. E., Hundert, A. S., Weaver, I., and Karten, B. (2015). Pre-symptomatic alterations in amino acid metabolism and DNA methylation in the cerebellum of a murine model of Niemann-Pick Type C disease, Am J Pathol (Submitted)
Martin, L., Kennedy, B. E., and Karten, B. (2014). Mitochondrial cholesterol: mechanisms of import and effects on mitocondrial function (review), J Bioenerg Biomembr [Epub ahead of print].
Kennedy, B. E., Madreiter, C., Vishnu, N., Malli, R., Graier, W., Karten, B. (2014) Adaptations of energy metabolism associated with increased levels of mitochondrial cholesterol in Niemann-Pick type C1-deficient cells, J Biol Chem 289(23), 16278-89.
Kennedy, B. E., LeBlanc, V., Mailman, T., Fice, D., Burton, I., Karakach, T., Karten, B. (2013) Pre-symptomatic activation of antioxidant responses and alterations in glucose and pyruvate metabolism in Niemann-Pick Type C1-deficient murine brain, PLoS One 8(12), p. e82685.
Kennedy, B. E., Charman, M., Karten, B. (2012) Niemann-Pick Type C2 protein contributes to the transport of endosomal cholesterol to mitochondria without interacting with NPC1, J Lipid Res 53(12), 2632-2642.
*Charman, M., *Kennedy, B. E., Osborne, N., and Karten, B. (2010). MLN64 mediates egress of cholesterol from endosomes to mitochondria in the absence of functional Niemann-Pick Type C1 protein, J Lipid Res 51(5), 1023-1034. *co-first authors.